Brighthouse Life Insurance Review
Brighthouse Financial may not have as recognizable a brand name as some other top life insurance companies, but they offer a range of policies and have strong customer satisfaction and industry ratings.
Learn more about Brighthouse life insurance policies, their financial strength, customer review ratings and more.
Please note: LifeInsurance.org does not sell life insurance policies from Brighthouse. To learn about life insurance policies available where you live and to compare options from other life insurance companies that offer coverage in your area, call to chat with a licensed insurance agent or request a free online plan quote today.
Are MetLife and Brighthouse the Same?
Brighthouse split from MetLife in 2017 and became an independent entity doing business as Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial is a Fortune 500 company with more than two million customers and $248 billion in total assets. The company is based in Charlotte, NC and specializes in life insurance and annuities.
Where Can You Purchase Brighthouse Life Insurance?
Brighthouse is licensed to sell life insurance in all 50 states.
What Kind of Life Insurance Does Brighthouse Sell?
Brighthouse offers two term life options and one universal life policy.
Brighthouse One-Year Term
Brighthouse is unique in that it’s one of only a handful of companies to offer a one-year term life policy. This type of short-term coverage may be a good fit for someone who is between jobs, is doing extended travel, needs to cover a short-term business loan and more.
A Convertible and Renewable Options rider allows policyholders to use a one-year extension up to four times, and the coverage can be converted into a whole life policy after the first year.
Brighthouse SimplySelect Term
This policy is a more traditional term life plan with coverage lengths of 10, 20 or 30 years and death benefits ranging from $100,000 to $2 million.
Like the one-year policy, the SimplySelect plan can be converted to permanent coverage after the first year with the use of a rider.
Brighthouse Smartcare Indexed Universal
This hybrid product combines a guaranteed death benefit with long-term care coverage. Each SmartCare policy includes a long-term care acceleration of death benefits rider as well as an extension of benefits rider.
The plan can be obtained with no medical exam for some applicants and contains a cash value affixed to an indexed investment fund.
Does Brighthouse Offer Any Riders?
Brighthouse has three available riders, each of which has been previously mentioned.
- The Convertible and Renewable Options rider allows you to convert a term policy to a whole life policy after the first year of coverage (but before the fifth year).
- The Accelerated Death Benefit Rider grants access to death benefits if you are diagnosed with a terminal illness or need qualifying care.
- Lastly, the Extension of Benefits Rider allows for an extension of long-term care benefits for up to four years.
How Much Does Brighthouse Life Insurance Cost?
Brighthouse Financial does not provide online quotes, so you will need to work with a company representative directly to determine how much you’ll pay for a policy.
While LifeInsurance.com doesn’t sell Brighthouse life insurance policies, you can call to chat with a licensed insurance agent or request a free online quote to compare life insurance companies that sell policies where you live.
Is Brighthouse a Good Company?
Brighthouse holds strong financial strength ratings from the leading credit agencies.
- M. Best and Fitch Ratings each awarded the company an A rating, while Moody’s gives Brighthouse an A3 and S&P Global gives an A+.
- All four scores suggest a stable outlook with no concerns regarding the ability of Brighthouse to pay out insurance claims.
From a customer review perspective:
- Brighthouse has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
- Consumer Affairs reviewers give Brighthouse just 1.8 stars out of five, but there are very few reviews upon which the score is based.
- A better idea of customer complaints can be derived from the NAIC Complaint Index Report, which places Brighthouse Financial’s customer complaint rate as slightly lower than the industry average when adjusted for market share. This means they typically have solid customer satisfaction ratings.
Brighthouse Life Insurance Customer Service Phone Number
Current Brighthouse life insurance members call the Brighthouse customer service phone number at (800) 882-1292 or (833) 208-3017.
The company offers additional help resources such as FAQs and a library of claim and service forms, but no email or live chat help options exist.
How Can I Purchase Brighthouse Life Insurance?
Brighthouse life insurance policies are only available through a financial professional who is licensed to sell the products. You may not purchase coverage online or through Brighthouse directly.
Is Brighthouse Life Insurance ror You?
Brighthouse sells a limited selection of life insurance plans, and there is no way of knowing how plan pricing may compare to other available options without working with a financial professional.
The company is licensed to do business in all 50 states and carries strong financial ratings.
As with most any life insurance company, depending on whether the cost and coverage align with your budget and needs, the company may (or may not) be the right choice for you.
Call to chat with a licensed insurance agent today to learn about other life insurance companies that may offer policies where you live.